The Strengthening and Enabling Power of the Atonement

               For this last section of the teachings of the Book of Mormon, I have really been thinking about the lesson titled: “The Strengthening and Enabling Power of the Atonement.” I feel like as the semester is coming to an end, and as life continues to throw its curves at me, I am having to believe more in the strengthening and enabling power of the Atonement. It is only available to me through my Savior Jesus Christ.
One of the main points of the lesson is that the Book of Mormon teaches that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ we can be strengthened and enabled to put off the natural man and become a saint. In Mosiah chapter three, King Benjamin says:

For the natural man is an enemy to God and has been since the fall of Adam, and will be, forever and ever, unless he yields to the enticings of the Holy Spirit and putteth off the natural man and becometh a saint through the atonement of Christ, the Lord, and becometh as a child, submissive, meek, humble, patient, full of love, willing to submit to all things which the Lord seeth fit to inflict upon him, even as a child doth submit to his father.
As I pondered this scripture, my first thought was that this was a hefty list. There are so many things we have to do to become a saint, how am I going to ever do this? Then I started to really think about it. I can’t put off the natural man, become like a saint, or any of the other things King Benjamin writes in this verse without help from the Savior. I can try with all my heart, might, mind, and strength, but unless I “yield to the enticings of the Holy Spirit” and ask for help from the Savior I will never truly change and become like a saint. The Savior is stretching out His hand to help me, but He will never force me to accept His hand. I have to willingly submit to Him and His will. Paraphrasing C.S Lewis, Elder Corbridge in his talked called “The Fourth Missionary” has said:
‘Give me all. I don’t want so much of your time, so much of your talents and money, and so much of your work: I want You. All of you. I have not come to torment or frustrate the natural man, but to kill it. No half-measures will do. I don’t want to only prune a branch here and another there; rather, I want the whole tree out. Hand it all over to me, the whole outfit, all of your desires, all of your wants and wishes and dreams. Turn them all over to me, give yourself to me and I will make of you a new self in my image. Give me yourself and in exchange I will give you Myself. My will shall become your will. My heart shall become you heart.’ Let me be clear that I am not talking just about giving up evil desires, but rather all of your desires, all of you wants and wishes and dreams, whether good or evil. All of it together… This way, the Lord’s way, is in the end, easier. It is easier to give yourself to Him, to surrender your will to His, than it is to fight the fight within. It is easier to give yourself to Him, than it is to wrestle in your heart and soul between what you want and what the Lord wants, between the natural man and your divine nature.
I am coming to find out that this is where I need to work the most. I need to align my will to the Lord’s will. I think that this quote and the scripture from King Benjamin are a good way know where my will lies. Am I being patient with myself and others? Am I humble enough to ask for help from the Lord and those around me? Am I willing to submit to the Lord’s will?
               Another main topic of the lesson is that as I use the Savior’s Atonement, I will be blessed to overcome trials and the physical, emotional, and spiritual distress they cause.  One of the greatest examples to me from the Book of Mormon of receiving blessings of strength is in 1 Nephi chapter seven. Nephi was bond by his brothers and they sought to take his life. Instead of crying out why me, he prayed to the Lord for strength: “O Lord, according to my faith which is in thee, wilt thou deliver me from the hands of my bretheren; yea even give me strength that I may burst these bands with which I am bound.” Had I been in Nephi’s place I would have chosen the why me route, but that is why I am here so that I can learn to be willing to ask for the strength to endure through that which He has asked me to do.
               The Atonement is how I am able to grow up a little bit, and ask for help to make it through the next day. Without the Savior I would be nothing, and would not have the power to make it through this life. Every day I am in pain.  I have a condition that has been labeled the suicide disease. Its true name is trigeminal neuralgia, which is a condition where the trigeminal cranial nerve is damaged. This damage causes excruciating pain daily. Most people go through the rest of their lives in constant pain and they are unable to find sources of relief. Because of my Savior and the enabling power I can receive through it, I have been able to keep an enteral perspective. I know that this trial is not because of any sin I have committed, I know that the Lord would not have given me this affliction unless it was necessary for my edification. I know that without these last five years I would not be converted to the Lord and His gospel. Without this trial of faith, I would not know that this life is important and a time of growth. Without my struggles, I would not know the love of God.  
               I am grateful for my Savior, for His love for me, that He was willing to die for me. I am grateful for my Heavenly Father, the plan He presented, and that Jesus was willing to become the Savior for us. I am grateful that we have modern day prophets to help lead and guide us today. I am grateful for the Bible and the Book of Mormon, and the guidance that it brings into my life. I know that my Savior lives and loves us, that He wants to help us, and that He wants us to return back to the Father. I know this gospel is true, and that I would be nothing without it. It is the leading light in my life. in the name of Jesus Christ amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Doctrine of Jesus Christ

The Atonement of Jesus Christ